Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Mother :)

I have decided that I needed to write about my mother today. I know it's mother's day but it's not the only reason I have decided this, she has been on my mind a lot lately because of things going on in my life right now. This maybe short but it will help me explain how much I admire and love my mother.

 My mother is a very amazing person. My dad and mom separated and divorced when my brother and I were very young. This of course was hard on both my parents but my mom had us to take care of so she picked up and made the decision to raise us alone. Her family has always lived out west so it was just us three. My grandfather did come to live with us for a little while, which I didn't realize how special this was until later in my life. I didn't realize a lot of things until I got older. My mom worked a lot of hours, cleaned our apartment, paid all the bills, stressed over where I or my brother was, all by herself. She was very stern about what I did, when I did it, and who I did it with. I now understand why. I think that with all the tiring times that she went through, she raised two great kids.
She gave us strength to be who we are and helped us see the world in a better light. She taught us to respect others without any discrimination.
 My mom showed us the beauty of the world by taking us places and always having fun. I have lots of memories of our trips together, and I know it wasn't always anything fancy but they were the BEST times. We went to Lake Winnie, to POPS in the park, Lookout games, Riverbend, Washington and California, drove cross country to Las Vegas for my 21st birthday and so much more. We saw lots of movies in the theaters, which became one of my favorite things to do and which eventually brought Andy and I together in a way.  My mother helped buy my first car and taught me responsibility by making me get a job and learn how to pay my bills. All this she did alone, yes my dad did pay child support, but my mom always made sure we had things that we really wanted.  Thanksgiving and Christmas time at her house is some of the most warming memories I have. She always cooked a big meal, even though there were only three of us. Our presents were the best because she knew what we wanted and even though she couldn't always afford much, there was always a ton to open. Even all the midnight masses she drug us to have left a heartwarming memory of beauty and song. She was always there for when Nick had games or I had music programs. She didn't miss anything.


 This is all when we were young and we eventually grew up to where we could take care of ourselves. She moved back out west and we have gone to visit beautiful San Francisco a few times. My mother has faced and survived Breast Cancer twice and several surgeries by herself. She has had help from her brother and sisters and friends but sometimes I feel really bad that I couldn't be there for her though all of it.

 My mother has been here for everything I have ever needed. Even if it was just a phone call or a card from miles away, she has always made me feel better. It really hit home when she came in to help me with Zooey. That's when I realized how much I really miss having her here and how much she has done for me to make me this strong person I can be. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be the mother I am today.I would not have had the strength or the morals that I do now. I hope that I can pass this along to my girls so they can survive in this world of no morals and hate.


 I love my mother more than she knows and I hope that I can repay her for it all one day. I have never really told her all this, one because I write better than I talk but also because I can't say it all without crying.
So, MOM, now you know that what you taught me really did matter and I am grateful for all you have ever done for me........even if I didn't know it at the time.

          I LOVE YOU, MOM, and I wish we could be together today. I hope you enjoy your day and we will see each other soon!! Oh and your gift will be mailed tomorrow (something I didn't get from my mother is promptness lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment